The hunt for top talent goes beyond technical skills. Today’s recruitment landscape demands a deeper understanding of a candidate’s attitude and motivation. At Hall Recruitment, a recruitment agency fuelled by career aspirations since 2003, we champion finding individuals who not only possess the required skills but also align with your company culture. While upskilling can bridge skill gaps, the right attitude fuels success. CVs showcase skills, but they often miss the “why” behind career changes. This is where delving into the reasons for leaving past roles unveils valuable insights into a candidate’s work ethic, approach to challenges, and desire for professional growth. Remember, temporary recruitment can be a stepping stone, but long-term success hinges on finding the right fit.
Unlocking Attitude: Unveiling Teamwork Contributions
Understanding a candidate’s perspective on teamwork and their perceived contribution to projects paints a vivid picture of their attitude. Don’t settle for generic answers. Go beyond “I’m a team player” by asking pointed questions that reveal their true colours:
- Describe a challenging team project you overcame. What was your role and how did you contribute to the success? This delves into their problem-solving skills, initiative, and ability to handle pressure.
- How do you handle conflict within a team? Look for responses that emphasize open communication, respect for diverse viewpoints, and a focus on finding solutions.
- Tell me about a time you went above and beyond to help a team member. This reveals their commitment to collaboration, selflessness, and understanding the bigger picture.
Evaluating their communication skills, knowledge sharing, and adaptability in diverse team dynamics further unveils their true collaborative spirit. Pay attention to:
- Active listening skills: Do they ask clarifying questions and demonstrate genuine interest in others’ perspectives?
- Clarity and conciseness: Can they articulate their ideas effectively and avoid rambling?
- Willingness to share knowledge: Do they offer help and insights readily, or hold onto information?
- Flexibility and adaptability: How do they adjust their approach and communication style to different team members and situations?
The Power of Phone Screening: A Gateway to Unveiling Attitude
Clear communication is the foundation of successful collaboration, and phone screening calls offer a powerful tool to assess attitude beyond CVs and resumes. We emphasize evaluating phone skills during initial screening. A candidate’s ability to:
- Articulate clearly and concisely: Can they express themselves thoughtfully and avoid rambling or negativity?
- Engage meaningfully: Do they ask questions, show genuine interest in the opportunity, and actively participate in the conversation?
- Express enthusiasm and positivity: Do they convey a positive and engaging tone, highlighting their interest in the role and company?
provides valuable insights into their interpersonal skills and overall demeanour. Listen for:
- Friendliness and professionalism: Are they courteous, respectful, and able to maintain a professional tone?
- Enthusiasm and energy: Do they sound excited about the conversation and opportunity?
- Problem-solving and critical thinking: Can they answer questions confidently and provide thoughtful responses?
Beyond Skills: Hiring for Lasting Impact
In today’s market, frequent job changes in senior roles pose a challenge. How do you identify individuals with the right skills AND a commitment to long-term growth? While CVs and references confirm technical capabilities, interviews should delve deeper into a candidate’s attitude, motivation, and cultural alignment.
Conclusion: Building Lasting Collaborations Through Attitude-Based Hiring
With over 40 years of combined experience, Hall Recruitment navigates the ever-evolving recruitment landscape. Prioritizing attitude is a strategic move, ensuring you find individuals who possess the right skills AND the drive to stay, contribute, and grow with your business. By exploring motivations, teamwork contribution, and phone skills, you make informed decisions that lead to lasting and successful collaborations.
If you are interested in our services or have a position to be filled, please click the image below to explore further.