If you’re about to get down to drafting a new accountant job description you’ve landed on the right page. We’re experienced recruiters for the sector and a popular destination among accountants for accounts jobs. Before you go any further it’s important to emphasise no two businesses are the same. That’s why you’ll need to customise your job description to be in alignment with your business and with local employment law.
Accountant Job Titles
Here are some key points you’ll need to consider with respect to job titles for this role. For example, you might encounter titles you’d expect such as Accountant; Management Accountant; Qualified Accountant; Finance Manager; Finance Director. The same job could also be expressed as Company Accountant. Another employer might be found listing the same job as Financial Accountant or even Accounts Manager or Financial Accountant.
Those are some of the titles commonly used to describe the most senior level roles. Immediately beneath those there is another layer. Here are some of the job titles you’re likely to encounter: Assistant Accountant, Payroll Manager and Accounts Assistant, Accounts Payable/ Accounts Receivable Specialists and Credit Controller. (You might even be involved in the recruitment for this level of staff)
You will probably use one of the above job titles and that will depend on the size and turnover of your company. Very often there will be an accounts team and even a full department and the Accountant will be one of the “Head Honchos”. Their opinion and experience will regularly be called upon and they will most definitely be a person of influence with a guaranteed seat at the Management table. An accounting qualification will allow an Accountant to travel the world and work anywhere as it is a recognised and transferable skill and qualification.
SAMPLE: ACCOUNTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
Job title: Accountant
Reporting to: Managing Director
Direct reports: Accounts Staff
ACCOUNTANT ROLE OUTLINE
The Accountant will be responsible for producing accurate financial information for the Board of Directors and Shareholders. The Accountant will be responsible for all preparation work for external auditors and will ensure the financial stability of the company and advise the Board of Directors accordingly. The Accountant will have excellent Microsoft Excel skills (Pivot tables, vlookups etc) for use on a daily basis. The Accountant will be working on different accountancy products including cloud-based applications. The Accountant will have sign-off on payrolls weekly and monthly. The Accountant will be involved in preparing financial information to support any applications for loans and or grants. The Accountant will be comfortable in client and senior management facing situations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements and budget performance
- Analyise financial information and summarise financial status
- Prepare and present consolidated monthly Management Information reports
- Prepare monthly management accounts, including an in-depth expenditure analysis
- Prepare financial projections for Senior Management team
- Managing all financial activities including payments, invoices, expenses, sales commissions etc
- Ensure compliance with all regulations and internal controls
- Prepare and submit to revenue the VAT, PAYE/PRSI returns for the company
- Identify areas of improvement
- Prepare budgets
- Prepare cash forecasts
- Complete monthly Bank reconciliations for Euro and any other currency accounts
- Review and approve all purchase requests
- Work with team to complete month-end and year-end closing off processes
- Prepare documents for and liaise with external auditors
- Recruit, supervise and train any accounts staff as and when required
- Plan, assign and review their work
QUALIFICATIONS FOR AN ACCOUNTANT
- Fully qualified Accountant (CIMA/ ACCA/ ACA or equivalent)
- 5 years post qualification experience in an accounting environment
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills
- Experience with cloud-based accountancy products (SAP, Dynamics, Xero, QuickBooks)
- Experience preparing payroll information
- Previous experience in Cost Control essential
- Experience with preparing detailed financial information
- Comfortable in client and senior management facing situations.
TYPICAL ACCOUNTANTS SALARY/BENEFITS PACKAGE
- €65,000 – €140,000 (depending on experience, responsibilities, and size of company)
- Private health insurance
- Bonus Participation in company share scheme
- Further education paid
- Parking space
- Interest free loan for bike to work scheme
To learn more about Hall Recruitment and to obtain full and up-todate information how we can help you find the candidates you need call us +353 (1) 633 4040. In the business of managing your recruitment, it’s the only number you’ll ever need!